Thursday, December 07, 2006

Christmas 2005

I don’t know about you, but Christmas seems to have sprung up on me this year. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I am still waiting for summer. This time of year always prompts me to think about what is different in my life. The events that most people would list when they think about life change haven’t happened. I still live in the same place. I work for the same company. I am not suddenly married with children. Yet, I feel like absolutely everything is different.

My old car died and I purchased a new one. I now understand t hat those people who say their life changed when they started sleeping on a new mattress are not crazy. I have had two new positions within the company I work for. I have gone from being an accountant to an IT business analyst which is a huge shift. I started working out and with that started feeling better. I followed God’s leading to re-engage ministry.

Those things are not what I am talking about when I say that everything is different. I am different. I am always being shaped by the events around me. I know different things than I did last year. I perceive things differently than I did a year ago. I always do.

God is constant and pretty much everything else changes. That is what I have been thinking about. No matter what point in a year I choose, I know that if I reflect back on the previous year I will see that I am different. I will see that my life is at least a little bit different than the year before. That is both terrifying and exciting at the same time. I know that my life is not exactly where I want it to be right now. I also know that I have been in worse places than I am now. I am kind of in the middle.

One of the central themes of Christmas is hope. Whether someone is a Christian or not, they would recognize that this season is about the celebration of things to come. That’s what all the good classic Christmas movies are about right? Someone’s life gets better over the holidays.

People can choose to think that Christmas is just a bunch of crap. They can decide that there is no hope. Or they can decide that the season has become so commercialized that there is no point anymore. This year I choose to think that if things are going to be different next year that I am going to hope that God will do amazing things in my life. I am going to reflect on how Jesus has shown up in my life in a big way in the past. I know that He will do it again.

May this year be full of happy beginnings for you and your family!

Love,
Misty

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home